Basic Requirements to Becoming a Physical Therapist

Numerous people go out to see physical therapists every day due to the increase in the number of physical health problems in the modern age. This can be the result of overwork, old age and many other factors. If you want to become a physical therapist, you must first know what the requirements are and how to meet them.

Basic Requirements to Becoming a Physical Therapist
Basic Requirements to Becoming a Physical Therapist

What Is a Physical Therapist

A physician therapist is a movement expert who specializes in treating human body disorders through prescribed exercise, patient education, and hands-on-care. They can help patients experiencing illnesses or injuries in the musculoskeletal system (bones and muscles), neurological systems (brain), cardiopulmonary system (heart and lungs), integumentary system (skin). In addition, if you wish to do well in this profession, you must also learn the 5 essential qualities that all successful physical therapists should have.

Physical Therapist Duties

Physical Therapist Duties
Physical Therapist Duties

Physical therapists can improve the quality of life for people of all ages, from newborns to elderly people. Most of their patients are people with injuries, disabilities, or other physical health conditions. Some even come to see a physical therapist in order to get advice on how to be healthy and to prevent physical problems from happening in the future.

Patients that receive physical therapy treatments can go back to their previous life, they can lead active lives, enjoy their daily activities, and regain their independence. Those that have physical therapist jobs have helped quite a lot of people.

Education and Licensure

Those that wish to practice physical therapy in the US must first obtain a doctor of physical therapy (DPT) degree, and it must also come from a program that is approved by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education. And finally, they have to pass a state licensing exam to fully become an official, licensed physical therapist.

Education and Licensure
Education and Licensure

These DPT programs tend to last three years at best. Students that take these programs can learn various skills and knowledge in various areas such as: anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, kinesiology, pathology, behavioral sciences, communication, clinical reasoning, evidence-based practice, musculoskeletal systems. Some could even get athletic trainer jobs after attending these programs.

It is estimated that for most DPT programs, about 80% of their curriculum focuses on classroom work and lab study, and the other 20% involves clinical education. We can clearly see most of the time, you would learn a lot of practical skills that are used in real-life situations, which are extremely crucial for a physical therapist. Most PT students would take 27 to 28 weeks to finish their final clinical experience.

DPT Programs

DPT Programs
DPT Programs

It’s also worth noting that some DPT programs need students to acquire a bachelor’s degree before enrolling. And a few schools allow students to access a 3 + 3 program type. This means that they will first attend a three-year undergraduate course on physical therapy, then they can move on to a professional DPT program, which also lasts for 3 years.

However, there is a quicker way. Some DPT programs allow high school graduates to enter the admission program directly. As long as they have completed all its undergraduate requirements, they can get access to the professional DPT program easily.

Conclusion

Physical therapy is one of the most important professions of our time as there are more and more people suffering from various physical problems, which have greatly affected their day-to-day activities.